Review the Final EA Report
The City of Toronto and Waterfront Toronto (the Proponents) have completed the environmental assessment for the Gardiner Expressway and Lake Shore Boulevard East Reconfiguration Environmental Assessment and Integrated Urban Design Study (Gardiner EA). As required under section 6.2(1) of the Environmental Assessment Act (Act) and according to the Terms of Reference approved by the Minister of the Environment and Climate Change on November 30, 2009, the Proponents have submitted the Gardiner EA to the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC) for review and approval on January 27, 2017.
The proposed Gardiner EA project involves changes to the existing Gardiner Expressway and Lake Shore Boulevard from approximately Lower Jarvis Street to just east of the Don Valley Parkway at Logan Avenue. The City of Toronto Council endorsed the ‘Hybrid Alternative Design Three’ as the preferred alternative design for the project. Hybrid 3 includes maintaining the elevated expressway from Lower Jarvis Street to Cherry Street, removing the existing Gardiner-DVP connection and rebuilding the connection along an alignment closer to the rail corridor. The preferred alternative design also requires the lengthening of the Metrolinx Don River/DVP rail bridge, removal of the Logan Street ramps and the addition of two ramps in Keating Channel Precinct.
As required under the Act, the Gardiner EA will be available for public review and comment from January 27, 2017 to March 17, 2017.
An electronic copy of the Gardiner EA Report can be accessed by clicking on the links below.
Gardiner EA Report
- Executive Summary
- Chapters One and Two – Introduction, Purpose and Rational of the Undertaking
- Chapter Three – Description of Potentially Affected Environment
- Chapter Four – Description and Evaluation of Alternative Solutions
- Chapter Five – Design Alternatives
- Chapter Six – Description of Undertaking Effects Assessment
- Chapter Seven – Summary of Consultation
- Chapter Eight – EA Amendment Procedures
- Chapter Nine – Conclusions and Next Steps
Gardiner EA Appendix
- Appendix A – Terms of Reference
- Appendix B – Record of Consultation (Report)
- Appendix B – Record of Consultation (Appendix)
- Appendix C – Cultural Heritage Baseline Conditions Report
- Appendix D – Archaeological Baseline Conditions Report
- Appendix E – Natural Environment Baseline Conditions Report
- Appendix F – Geo-Environmental Baseline Conditions Report
- Appendix G – Stormwater Baseline Conditions Report
- Appendix H – Air Quality and Greenhouse Gas Impact Assessment Report
- Appendix I – Noise Assessment Report
- Appendix J – Infrastructure Baseline Conditions Report
- Appendix K – Transportation Modelling Report
- Appendix L – Urban Design, Public Realm and Socio-Economic Baseline Conditions Report
- Appendix M – Economics Baseline Conditions Report
- Appendix N – Case Study Report
- Appendix O – Costing Assumptions
- Appendix P – Goods Movement Study Report
- Appendix Q - Economic Competitiveness Study Report
- Appendix R – Third Party Proposals Assessment
- Appendix S – Road Safety Review
- Appendix T – Hybrid Construction Staging Report
- Appendix U – Land Valuation Report
A hard copy of the Gardiner EA can be viewed at the MOECC (135 St. Clair Avenue West, 1st Floor), Toronto City Hall Library (100 Queen Street West, Main Floor), Waterfront Toronto (20 Bay Street, Suite 1310), during regular business hours.
Anyone wishing to provide comments about the EA must submit their comments in writing to the MOECC by March 17, 2017. All comments must be submitted to:
A copy of all comments will be forwarded to the Proponenets for their consideration.
If you have any questions or need further information about this project, please contact the Facilitator’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-479-0662.