What should be done with the Gardiner Expressway East and Lake Shore Boulevard? Waterfront Toronto and the City of Toronto have resumed an Environmental Assessment (EA) and Integrated Urban Design Study to consider four alternatives for the Gardiner: maintain, improve, replace or remove.
Waterfront Toronto and the City of Toronto are jointly carrying out the Gardiner Expressway / Lake Shore Boulevard Reconfiguration Environmental Assessment (EA) and Integrated Urban Design Study. The EA will determine the future of the Gardiner Expressway East and Lake Shore Boulevard East, from approximately Jarvis Street to approximately Leslie Street.
The four alternative solutions that have been considered to date are:
- Maintain the elevated expressway;
- Improve the urban fabric while maintaining the existing expressway;
- Replace with a new above-or-below grade expressway; and
- Remove the elevated expressway and build a new boulevard.
In the last phase of the EA, the evaluation of the alternative solutions concluded that the remove option best met the evaluation criteria. Following direction from the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee of Toronto City Council. the upcoming public meeting will share the results of the following work:
1. Review the remove option under the EA process to mitigate concerns about traffic congestions
2. Prepare an additional hybrid option that combines the maintain and replace components to preserve expressway linkage and functionality between the Gardiner Expressway and the Don Valley Parkway, and evaluate it against the EA criteria and the following:
- Transportation functionality;
- Impacts on key economic sectors;
- Cost benefit;
- Future land use considerations;
- Public transit components:
- Environmental impact;
- Neighbourhood growth and compatibility.
The study area (as set out in the Terms of Reference) includes the easternmost portion of the Gardiner Expressway. This is the 2.4 kilometre section of road east of Jarvis Street to approximately Logan Avenue.
Help decide the future of the Gardiner Expressway East
Missed the April 15 meeting about the Future of the Gardiner East? The conversation continues! Join us for a second meeting:
Gardiner Expressway East Public Meeting (Scarborough)
Monday, April 20, 2015
6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. at the Blessed Cardinal Newman H.S. Cafeteria
100 Brimley Rd S, Toronto
Open house begins at 6:30 p.m.; presentations at 7:00 p.m.
*PLEASE NOTE THIS MEETING WILL NOT BE WEBCAST*
Click here to watch a video recording of the April 15 meeting. The presentation as well as background materials about the remove and hybrid alternatives are available in the Document Library. Don’t forget to send us your ideas, comments and feedback about the results of the evaluation of alternative solutions presented at the public meeting here: Online Discussion Guide.
For more information or to be added to the project mailing list, contact email@example.com, or call (416) 479-0662.